Friday, March 7, 2008

a day in the life


Well folks, it appears that I am a year older. And with this birthday, I decided on a new initiative -- to make the day a special one from now on. This might seem a strange thing to say, but for me it's a big deal. Let me tell you why.

For the past few years, for some nonsensical reason, I've thought, "I will work on my birthday, and I will not make an effort to have fun." Then inevitably, at the end of the day, I would be pissed off that my birthday was so crappy. Does this make any sense? No. I don't even know how to explain this behavior really. It's not like I was deliberately trying to make it bad, it just always happened because of my careless attitude. Perhaps it's related to my aversion to being the center of attention. Who knows?

That's all behind me now, let me tell you. I plan on being selfish and carefree from now on, like normal people. We're turning over a new leaf here. With that said, let me tell you about my Monday.

I slept in and then dressed thoughtfully, deciding to wear my Frye booties that I hadn't worn yet. Cary took me out to lunch at Jason's Deli, which is sadly sort of fancy for us. After a leisurely shopping excursion, we headed over to Salvation so I could get my first tattoo. My friend Phillip stopped by to watch the spectacle, then we all went out to get some drinks. After drunk-driving home (not really), my sister made me the most delicious dinner, complete with hors d'oeuvres. It turned out to be a great birthday!

In unrelated news, I have recently found two artists that I really like. I read an article about Kristin Baker in Vogue, and fell in love with her paintings. I'm head over heels for color, and the way she uses it is delicious. Also, Jacob Magraw, wow. The way he uses color is also phenomenal, and I really dig the sinewy texture in a lot of his pieces. Seeing art like this makes me want to paint again, even though I know I will never have the same kind of talent there.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Never have the same kind of talent? I've got a giant pink, teal and yellow painting that says otherwise.

Leslie said...

Haha, awww, thanks. I can always count on you to toot my horn.