Thursday, March 20, 2008

sew close, yet sew far

I'm always looking for fabrics that are colorful small-scale florals on a dark background. I didn't think this would be such a hard thing to find, but apparently it is, much to my dismay. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. I mean, of all the cotton calicos out there, why is it so elusive? Well, I got a small glimmer of hope when I spied Luella Bartley's Spring '08 collection a few weeks ago.



This is exactly what I want! In addition to the coveted fabric, I love the other references. Giant nerd glasses, Batman, and Ghost World, plus the multi-hued Doc Marten-looking boots. Wowzers. I've really been into masks lately too, I don't know what it is. I'm thinking about making one so I can wear it like a headband, or a cocktail hat.

Anyway, in my fantasy the Luella collection sets off a great demand for floral-on-black prints, and bolts of it flow off the shelves at generic fabric stores like Joann's. We'll just see about that, as the fashion world appears to be in winter mode again (Fall/Winter '08 already? Really?). It's not even summer yet! Why must we be talking about wool and knits when we are just beginning to think about short sleeves in the real world? I tell ya.

No comments: