Friday, January 25, 2013

l'amour fou




I just watched this very inspiring documentary tonight about Yves Saint-Laurent. He really paved the way for so many things in fashion that we take for granted, was a determined and tireless worker, and an avid art collector with his partner, Pierre Bergér. It reminded me what respect and reverance art receives in France.

I go back and forth between thinking that art and creating art is a frivolous luxury of life, and feeling that it is a basic human need (it certainly feels that way for me!). I was also reminded tonight of how much our own minds are a hinderance, with self doubts and pressures placed upon us by us. This quality is one definition of being human, but it can be the catalyst for brilliant art. How wonderful and terrible all at once! It's complicated being alive, non? ;). You can always count on French movies to send you on an existential journey, haha.

No comments: